By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
If a move is in the near future, we understand that you will have a bunch in your head. From notifying your friends and relatives to home shopping to finding a moving company in Oklahoma City, there’s no question about it that moving is a big task, that requires much planning and organization. Feeling a bit overwhelmed? Do not worry, we’ve got your back! Our detailed moving guide has everything that you need for a smooth and efficient move to Oklahoma City.
1. Check out your new town. Before deciding to move anywhere, it’s always a good idea to check out your new community. Of course, you might hit all the points of interest, but don’t solely visit as a tourist. Drive through local neighborhoods. Observe where grocers, service stations and schools are located. Think about your lifestyle and how it could shift to this all new place.
2. Examine schools. When you are touring your new town, identify the schools that your children will be studying at. Take a look at the adjacent subdivisions and in addition carry out some online research to determine how the public schools rank as well as what private school options are to be found in the area.
3. Produce a moving budget. Let’s be realistic, moving isn’t inexpensive. Even DIY choices include a large price tag. And should you be moving a good distance, a professional mover in Oklahoma City will definitely make the task less hectic. Remember to add some additional for unanticipated expenses, since they frequently find a way to arise. If you are moving for a job, check with your company to determine if any of your moving costs can be covered.
4. Find a place to call home. When you have children and have investigated what school you would like them to go to, your options of a area in which to live have very likely been narrowed down some. Nevertheless, regardless, a real estate agent can assist you through the home shopping process. A knowledgeable real estate professional will show you homes in the choice community and be able to answer all of your concerns about the local neighborhoods.
5. Investigate moving companies. Recruiting an honest professional mover in Oklahoma City is essential for your move. Conduct your research by verifying Google reviews and the BBB ratings. Speak with individuals who have moved not too long ago and learn what moving company they utilized. Get a couple of estimates from different movers to examine. Ask questions if you don’t fully grasp something on the quotation and make certain you're comparing apples-to-apples. Bear in mind, when a quote looks too good to be true, this may be a warning sign.
6. Choose a moving date. In case you are wanting to move in the midst of the summer, you will need to get with your moving company in Oklahoma City to verify your preferred dates as far beforehand as you can. Summertime is considered peak season for moving, so schedules fill up rapidly. On the other hand, if you're wishing to move over the winter or early spring, you will likely have your choice of dates and may also wind up expending a little less. You will regularly pay a premium for moving throughout peak season.
7. Get started accumulating your moving supplies. By simply accumulating cartons now, you could be a small step ahead when it's time to pack. You can get boxes from your local moving company or from the majority of big box merchants. Don’t overlook various other moving materials, including tape, bubble wrap, newsprint, box knife, and so forth.
8. Have an approach for packing. Before you actually perform any packing, develop your plan. It is a good idea to check your things beforehand and decide what you are going to take with you and what you don’t want anymore. Have a garage sale or donate to a charity the things you don’t wish to move. After that, you could start packing non-essential items like basement and attic items as well as out-of-season items. And then, start working on stuff that you won’t require for the subsequent month or so. Wait until the days before moving day to pack things which you use routinely. Make sure and ask your moving company in case there are things which they can’t move within the moving van, for instance live plants, combustible items and perishable food. You will have to establish alternate plans for these items.
9. Pack your suitcases, too. In the event that you're going to be on the road for a couple of days along the way to your new house, you'll need attire and toiletries for the journey. Make certain and set aside everything that you will need along the way in order that those things don’t mistakenly get packed up and loaded on the moving van.
10. Generate travel arrangements. If you will be driving to your new house, prepare your route and reserve your rooms in hotels in advance. Similarly, if you are flying, pick your airline and get your tickets. Bear in mind that you could have to stay in a hotel for a few days in the new location in the event your stuff won’t be delivered right away.
11. Transfer memberships and files. If you have a fitness center or golf club membership, look into relocating them to your new city. Additionally, ask your child’s school to send their information to the new school and likewise for your doctors and dental office.
12. Clean out your storage unit. You should probably go ahead and go through your storage unit, too, and get rid of all things that you don’t have to have. Over and above that, be sure and alert the managers of the unit that you'll be moving your things out and contact them yet again once you've vacated the area.
13. Forward your mail. These days, it's simple to forward your snail mail to your new address. Simply go on to the USPS website and submit the required information. This is usually a very straightforward step, however it’s often overlooked, therefore we wanted to bring it up.
14. Check your moving date with your mover. You will likely hear from your moving company in Oklahoma City a couple of days or even a week before your move date, but in case you haven’t, at this point will be a great time to go ahead and get in touch with them and make certain that your move dates still match what they've got on the calendar for you. Last minute schedule changes are never a good time for anybody, so it’s always beneficial for you to double check all of the specifics to ensure everyone is on the same page.
15. Cut-off and set-up your utilities. The timing of this part is very important since you don’t desire to be moving out of your old residence in the dark or moving into your new residence devoid of heat or air conditioning. Contact your existing and future utility providers and figure out what you have to do to be able to ensure a simple transition.
16. Arrange a move-out cleaning. Once you have everything moved out of your old residence, you'll likely be too worn out to want to clean. There are cleaning services that focus on vacant properties thus consider hiring the cleaning done.
17. Let others know your new home address. This action could be done once you arrive at your new house, as well. Nevertheless you will want your family and friends to have your new address. Consider mailing out a change of address card or perhaps an e-mail to let everybody know that you've moved.
18. Trade contact info with your moving van driver. When all things have been packed up and the moving truck is ready to set off, make sure and ask the driver for the ETA to your new home and for his mobile phone number. Additionally provide him your mobile phone number. You need a way to stay in touch when everybody is on the move.
19. Schedule a handyman. Make certain and locate a reliable handyman after you move to help with tasks like switching out light fixtures, making simple repairs or hanging items on the walls.
20. Register to vote and get a new driver’s license. Updating your voter registration swiftly once you move is sensible for you to vote in any approaching elections. Your neighborhood library or post office can usually supply more information about how to register. Likewise, obtaining a new license is important after you have moved to a new state. Take a look at your local DMV webpage to make certain you have all of the needed documents before you decide to wait in line, because requirements vary from state to state.
Are you ready to move?
A-1 Freeman Moving Group in Oklahoma City would love to assist. Simply contact us right now to get started with your free in-home or video estimate.
Request a free quote