By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
We all like to trust that our houses are our safe spots, though if you study your home in the eyes of a child, there could be peril at every turn. From the electrical outlets just tempting small fingers to investigate them to the harsh sides of fireplaces, the many fixtures you never actually stopped to think about have now become a hazard.
An excellent occasion to childproof your new home is right after the moving company in Oklahoma City shows up to unload your possessions. Then, you are able to arrange your house and also deal with safety issues in one swoop. Nevertheless, when you are moving is not the only point in time you need to be aware of items that are hazardous for your kids. It is best to regularly go through your residence room by room and make sure there are no concerns inside of reach.
Kitchen area: It is very important in the kitchen to place safety latches on any cupboard doors you don’t want little ones opening up and closing-especially all of the cabinets keeping cleansers as well as other harmful items. Other options involve:
- Storing all cleaning supplies up out of reach
- Putting covers on all of the electric outlets
- Locking all drawers which contain sharp objects
- Keeping glass bottles as well as other breakables out of reach
Bathrooms: Water is very hazardous to young children. Toilets may require an infant lock to keep them not open, and you will need to make certain to never leave water standing in your bathtub. Additionally, contemplate turning your hot water heater lower so that no potentially scalding water will come streaming out the faucets. As well be sure to:
- Put covers on all outlets
- Lock cabinets with chemicals/cleansers
- Make certain children have zero ability to access medicines
Living Areas: Sharp corners are generally a big risk factor in communal areas. When toddlers are beginning to maneuver around, it is all too easy to smack heads and crash into edges. Safety buffers will go quite a distance to help make these items much safer. Other points to consider are:
- No looped cords on window shades or curtains
- No unfastened electric cords
- Safety covers on electric outlets
- Move heavy books as well as other items that might be yanked off shelves out of reach
- Secure home furniture on the wall to circumvent tipping
- No climbing accessibility from furniture to potentially harmful high places (like windows)
It's also a smart idea to take safety measures for bigger dangers. Stairways might require gates to stop children from going up or slipping down. Rooms you don’t wish little ones to access may be secured with childproof handles. Swimming pools need locked gates. Remember-anything that appears like fun will probably be the target for exploration at some time in the future. Thus, as the moving company in Oklahoma City is unloading your belongings and you are unpacking at your new residence, spend some time to childproof each and every room….and keep your youngsters safe!