Easy Steps for Downsizing Your House in Oklahoma City
Don’t let the “D” word startle you! Yes, we are talking about Downsizing. When you are contemplating moving in Oklahoma City, thoughts will come up about how many of your property you actually need. Admittedly, you will start thinking about some stuff you should get rid of. You may ask oneself how to do it. You may wonder who will want the stuff you want to rid yourself of. You might question if you will feel remorse about getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to choose what to discard:
There are gobs of considerations that you can go through when determining what to discard. You should try to remember when you last needed the item. If it has not seen the light of day in a decade, it is most likely not something that you should move to your new house. Think about if the item is still useful to you. If it is a piece of clothing like a sweater, try it on. If it does not fit, place it into the discard pile.
One critical item to refrain from is procrastinating about making decisions. Oftentimes, this will lead to you keeping more things than you would have. Go with your gut and decide promptly if you need to keep the item. Whenever there are memories attached to items it can be hard to give them away, but the memories will remain even after the item has found a new home.
How to get rid of your discard pile in Oklahoma City:
- Garage Sale: This will take some exertion but should also get you more back than you would with other methods. The steps to having a fruitful garage sale is straightforward. To start with, investigate any city ordinances in Oklahoma City and homeowner association rules to make sure that you follow them. Then, price your items a fair price, especially if you will just give them away for nothing otherwise. Next, advertise your sale. You need to have signs situated at nearby intersections that will guide potential customers to the sale. It may be advantageous to submit advertisements online to guide more buyers to your sale. Finally, relax and enjoy making a little money while visiting with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more precise step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Oklahoma City.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your stuff, donating your items to a charity in Oklahoma City is a great way to do that. You will help a worthwhile cause. You will also benefit the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, uncomplicated way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some charities will even come and pick your donation up from your residence.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just spreading their wings, asking if they need any items would be a grand idea. Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you might be surprised about what people request. It will give you joy to give someone something that they need.
- Consider a storage solution in Oklahoma City: There will be some things that you will not want to get rid of. If there is no room for them in your next destination, consider renting a storage facility. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for everyday living. If a storage unit is not in the numbers, think about if any family or friends would be willing to stow items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your home might be grouped more adequately. For instance, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and put them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are utilizing, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to get ready for a move will take effort. Think of all the time that it took to collect everything you own. Yet, once you have downsized successfully you will be pleased that you did it. You will be able to focus your time on the items you truly care about and have uses for.