If you’re relocating, you presumably have a lot of considerations—and quite a few costs. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your moving estimate. That’s why you need to hire an experienced and trustworthy moving company who will assist you to discoverways to cut down your moving costs, and who will provide you an detailed estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find a Great Company for Your Move in Oklahoma City
For starters, you need to know not all moving companies are the same. Some are seasoned, professional and honest—others are not. Per Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can discover a reputable company to assist you move by simply doing some groundwork. You can, for instance, check their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and search online reviews and complaints.
You should also check out their website—the best movers are often recipients of prestigious awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their website.
How to Comprehend the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Oklahoma City
Many factors go into the cost of your move. For instance, what you pay will be based in part on considerations such as the total weight of your household goods and the distance to your new residence. There are several other items, however, which will affect the amount of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Remember, you’re paying the moving company for their time. Certainly, they will need more time if you ask them to pack your belongings. You can save money by packing some or all of your possessions yourself. You can decrease expenses more by disassembling large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Finally, you’ll plunk down more for specific kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if fragile items like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be more.
- Poor access to your pick-up or drop-off location in Oklahoma City: If your current or future home is in an area which prohibits access for a tractor trailer truck (for example, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find another way to get belongings out of your old home or to your new one. For instance, they might need to use smaller trucks to gain access. In this case, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be more expensive if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to move your belongings up or down. You might also have to pay a long-carry fee if the area from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is greater than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger may be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the most common reasons for increased costs. If you need to store some or all your belongings at the carrier’s warehouse because your new home is not ready to be occupied, you’ll need to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the most busy moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will be more expensive. You can save money if it’s possible to time your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for integrity, reliability and trustworthiness by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working everyday to secure that trust. The most crucial thing you can do to have a safe move and lower your costs is to find the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work hard to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.