Oklahoma City Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Oklahoma City

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either close by or across the country requires a lot of coordination as well as organization, and many people forget to gather the proper records beforehand. The following is a short reference guide on many of the important papers that you will need whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Oklahoma City.

Let's face it, it's not as if you must have a passport along with a work visa to transfer across the state line, although after you've gathered all of your life papers together to go over the border those are about the only things you do not need. And the way our minds operate, you would be ready to need all this paperwork for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically local--from Memphis merely over the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it may come as a shock that you must have all of the documents.

These are the records you will more than likely need to keep on hand when moving, and approaches to obtain them if they've expired or perhaps you have lost them.

Driver's License

Despite the fact that driver's licenses won't be acceptable for federal recognition a lot longer, you'll still must have a active one--you need to have it regardless, but in the case it expired a couple weeks or perhaps months ago and you figured since you're moving why take the time, go make the effort. If you must check in at the airport, rent a vehicle, open a bank account, or execute life in general, you should have a current driver's license to do this. If you are in a state in which you can't obtain a driver's license from the neighborhood Tag Agency same day, request a paper version of your new license to make use of in front of the printed version arriving in the mail; this can be adequate identification for a couple of weeks.


If you are moving for a new position, odds are pretty good that you will have to prove US citizenship prior to getting started. You'll be able to renew it by mail should you fulfill particular guidelines--your name hasn't changed, your last one has been issued not more than 15 years in the past, you were a minimum of 16 at that time, along with others--however if not, you should make application for a new one in person. You can request an expedited passport if needed however be prepared to pay an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everyone in the family for your move to Oklahoma City. If you can't put your hands on the originals and you are now living in the county or parish whereby they were all distributed, a quick visit to the county offices will take care of it. If you had been born in a different place, obtain the reproduction through that area. Every place is different, thus consider an online investigation with regard to the county records the place you were born to obtain the precise directions to acquire a certified reproduction of your certificate of a birth. There is usually a nominal cost involved.

Marriage License

If you need a reproduction, adhere to the same procedure you would with the birth certificate. A family Bible or even document from the church isn't a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Each person in your family will need to have a social security number in addition to a card; if you can't place your hands on the cards you're going to need to obtain replacements as quickly as possible. You can begin the task online, and mail in the supporting papers, or you can actually go to the local Social Security Administration office with your files. Copies--even notarized ones--aren't satisfactory. You will need picture ID and verification of citizenship, therefore take an up-to-date driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed forces identification card, or a health insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You are going to need to register your motor vehicles in your new community and state, so bring your current registration cards and verification of insurance protection to the area DMV straight away right after your move to Oklahoma City. Within a different state you'll get a whole new license plate and tag; in case your move was intrastate your current license plate and tag are good, but your insurance charges could change.

Health and Shot Documents

If you've got young ones, their new schools will require verification of immunization prior to enrollment. Possessing duplicates of all the family healthcare records can help when you have initial consultations with new doctors.

Assemble all your records together as swiftly as you can ahead of your move to Oklahoma City and keep them together. Given that you will need original copies of most items, just place all the things within a file folder and keep it with you or in a safe place during the actual move--this is one thing you won't want to lose.

Should you be ready to move to Oklahoma City, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us today to schedule your cost-free in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)