How to Move a Piano Without a Moving Company
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Working with professional movers in Oklahoma City is usually the best choice; however you could be able to move a piano without their help, provided you have the correct equipment, and plenty of helpers. In the event you decide to go the Do-it-Yourself route, here are the basics you need to know:
What to Do Prior to Relocating the Piano
Moving a piano requires quite a bit of preparations. Listed here are some of the major things to arrange before you start moving one:
- Find the right moving supplies and materials. For instance, you need to have plenty of moving blankets available to protect the piano throughout the relocation. You will need a dolly sufficient for handling the piano's weight. For a grand piano, you'll in addition need to rent a piano skid board from a local moving company. (Don't be shocked if you wind up spending hundreds of dollars to rent one!)
- Create a team. At the very least, you ought to have four strong, capable people on hand to help you with the move. It is even better if you can find friends or family members who have experience moving large objects. Be sure to have plenty of pizza there for "motivation!"
- Measure the appropriate passages. It is extremely vital to measure the spaces through which your piano will be transported before the actual move. You do not want to get your piano wedged in a tricky spot, and take the risk of damaging it when you try to get it unstuck!
What to Do As you Move the Piano
Below you will find a few key items you don’t want to forget during the actual move. These include the following:
- Wrap the piano keys, pedals, lid, and body up tightly with proper materials (e.g., bubble wrap, foam packing sheets, blankets, etc.).
- Assemble your moving team ready to lift the piano. Be sure everyone lifts in unison, on cue. Another person (or two) should be prepared to slide the dolly underneath the piano.
- After the piano is securely on the dolly, slowly guide it out of your home and onto the moving truck. Be cautious going through doorways, rounding corners and going down stairs. (When possible, utilize a ramp when moving your piano up or down a staircase.)
- When you unload the piano on the moving truck, make sure at a minimum one person is in front of the piano, and is able to control it during the lift to free up the dolly.
What to Do After Moving the Piano
If you had to disassemble the piano to move it (for instance, by removing the legs), then ask your moving team to help you reassemble it as soon as it has been safely relocated. Wipe the piano down with a soft cloth or feather duster to eliminate all amassed dust and consider wiping down its exterior with a mild solution of soap and water. (It is wise to leave the interior to a professional piano cleaning company.)
Obviously, moving a piano without the help of a professional moving company in Oklahoma City necessitates lots of organization, coordination, and heavy lifting. The suggestions listed here are only the tip of the iceberg!
If you feel that it could be best to leave a move of this degree to professional movers in Oklahoma City, call our team of friendly experts at the A-1 Freeman Moving Group today to discuss the particulars.
Request a free quote