By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Relocating to a new residence is a big deal, however if your new residence is in a new state, there are lots of new points to learn together with the normal "Where's the dry cleaners?" query. Although your interstate move to Oklahoma City
may well be only a few miles, as a new resident there are lots of things that will be different from your previous home--so keep this cheat sheet handy when you are organizing your life moving forward.
For those who have bought a new house you've probably visited the city and expended some time online understanding the new neighborhood, checked out schools, and identified the nearest cafe. Now comes the nitty-gritty of the interstate move to Oklahoma City--the planning and particulars which can be so rapidly lost amongst the stress of the piles of cartons.
Identify Your Spending Plan
Moving is expensive. In case your move is corporate and it's not on your own dollar, skip ahead of the class. Should you be footing the bill, remember that all moving companies aren't the same and do your homework before you decide how to take care of a move and which mover to work with. Check around for recommendations, but confirm the company you choose is part of the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Association (their license number should be on their website and trucks). The Better Business Bureau also is a excellent resource for outstanding moving companies in Oklahoma City.
Determine your budget for the move before beginning. It can save you money by doing your own boxing and driving, and hiring labor to load and unload the moving trucks. A lot of movers have a list of services and you may pick and choose those that you prefer. This is a terrific way to go for anybody who is comfortable packing up some things, but want assistance with things like electronics and collectibles.
Professional companies will not give you a quote without understanding everything that you are moving and how far. Therefore, schedule an in-home survey and discuss with the estimator everything that you are planning on moving. Be sure to obtain a written quote, read it closely and ask questions if there are figures or particulars which are confusing.
Arrange Your Packing
It is like eating an elephant, take it a single bite-or box-at the time. Begin purging once you find out you might be moving to Oklahoma City. If you've not made use of it or worn it in six months’ time, donate it, sell it, or throw it away. If your movers are packing up for you, it can be a good deal less difficult to be ruthless with the purge whenever you determine that a specific thing is worth having to pay someone else to wrap and pack it.
Take into account your new life--if you're moving from Minnesota to a exotic climate, leave the polar fleece jacket and snow boots with your buddy. They will be convenient if you visit and be entirely worthless in place where 65 degrees is viewed as a chilly snap. Pack your out of season apparel and toys initially, and work your way to the necessities. A few days prior to the move itself, pack a duffel bag with the essentials for the day or two you are in transit.
Transporting the Transportation
If you're moving across the country and flying your family, you need to let the movers know they're going to be hauling motor vehicles, boats, golf carts, covered wagons--whatever's on wheels, it has to go on the moving truck except if you are driving it. Anytime animals are members of your family, it sometimes is smart for a couple of you to drive with the family pets. Consult your vet and check with airlines concerning pet policies once you realize you are moving. Additionally, organize with the movers relating to the time allocated for travel, particularly if you're going by air. If your furniture and television are a week behind, you'll need a place to stay in the interim, and the sooner you come up with those solutions the better, specifically with animals involved.
M-Day Minus Fourteen and Counting
The previous couple of days before you actually close the door for the last time is often a flurry of activity, be sure you check these tasks off your list.
- Confirm current utilities are shifting or turning off the day following your move. In case you're in a cold local climate on either end, request your real estate professional to check for burst pipes at the new home in Oklahoma City--that is not much of a welcome home for anybody.
- Ensure the mail is stopped and forwarded, and that you have done the change of address documents for bank accounts, health care, and insurance plan information. You are able to update your home address online and get a new PO box, but be aware that the Post Office assigns you a box and it is commonly on the bottom row. It's best to go in after you have moved and pick one yourself.
- Make hard copies of important papers, keep them within a file folder at hand throughout the interstate move itself. This consists of prescriptions, immunization records for the children and household pets, insurance cards, identification documents, and everything else you might need to get hold of in a rush.
- Schedule the cable/internet guy for as quickly as possible. Don't be concerned if their appointment coincides with the movers; they're accustomed to operating around boxes. It's an occupational hazard for promising to appear anytime within a five-hour window.
DON'T PUT THAT ON THE TRUCK!!!
There are certain things that common sense dictates should not go on a moving van. If you're nervous about driving with a full gas can for the garden tractor inside the car, think about packing a moving truck with lawn equipment, fertilizer, and chlorine bleach and heading out cross country to Oklahoma City. So, in the event you have to have a reminder, here are some things that movers are not permitted to move.
- ANY chemicals--household cleansers, paint and paint thinner, finger nail polish (really) and remover, fertilizer, chemistry sets
- perishable food items
- houseplants--states have polices about introducing new kinds in an effort to steer clear of new infestations and also fungi. There is no border patrol checking your car or trucks to confiscate your caladiums, but you ought not be the individual who shipped in the aphids which killed off the area plants.
- Cash, fine jewelry, stock certificates--keep those with you; moving companies are not answerable for assets like this.
This means letting the new state know you're arriving. You will need to commence paying taxes in your new state the moment the ink dries on your new mortgage loan. Let your accountant know you are moving--some states might not have state income taxes! Each state has their unique tax rates, regulations, and assorted unique laws. Check your new state's website for details on licensing pets, teenage drivers, as well as other arcane laws you'll need to know. After getting moved you'll need new drivers’ licenses and automobile tags--check to find out what the grace time is for new occupants. For most states you are able to enroll to vote at the DMV; again, look at the state website to determine the timeline for signing up to be a good citizen.
And, now that you have this interstate move to Oklahoma City figured out, concentrate on the vital stuff--like deciding your new favorite teams.