By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
Moving your family is stressful regardless of how you slice and dice it and managing to keep the typical anxiety at bay for the humans can be quite a difficult task. But while you are making sure your children are okay with leaving their schools, friends, and neighborhoods, don't forget that Ruffie and Leo get stressed out and need some additional TLC, too. And of course, your pets react to environmental shifts in various ways, so you will need a sizeable head for all the therapy hats you have got to put on throughout the move to Oklahoma City
. Animals which are living a contained existence typically do not have the emotional bond you have with the cats and dogs--fish in a tank just don't pull on your heartstrings similar to the puppy can when he looks at you at suppertime.
Here is how you will be able to keep your domestic pets stress-free and content as you move to Oklahoma City--so at least somebody in the household is not a jittery wreck.
Cats are inclined to affix to locations more than people--stories of cats who go with the houses are not really apocryphal. They're a concern when they are outdoors cats and you will be executing a long distance move--cats are known to depart the new residence to go back "home". This may not be such a worry if you're going down the street, otherwise, it is a tremendous concern.
Give consideration to it--your cats do not go to the door to go for a car ride each time you get your car keys; they are perfectly happy to continue sunning themselves on the windowsill--up to when you start packing and the windowsill disappears in back of a heap of cartons. Here's how to take care of your cats.
· Contain free-range felines, beginning a few months before you move to Oklahoma City. Get them familiar with being indoors with you--if this means late-life kitty litter box coaching, so be it. Encourage them into a pet carrier for a few hours each day, to make sure that they aren't meowing crazies once you place them in your car or truck. Take the cats out for short excursions when you're doing errands--certainly in the carrier.
· Moving day, keep the cat along with all kitty accessories in a room with the door shut. As soon as the professional movers have loaded the trucks and you're able to leave, put Kitty into the pet carrier. In the event your feline does not travel well, your veterinarian may perhaps prescribe something, so she won't have a meltdown in the vehicle, consequently making you along with the dog and the children to have their own mini-meltdowns.
· When you are set up in the new residence, replicate the moving-out process for a while. Keep the felines confined in a space along with their belongings, as you take care of the busyness of moving, unpacking, and settling in. Even with inside kitties, they're going to be happier--and less likely to display their unhappiness by overlooking the litter box--if you delay until you've settled in a bit to allow them to roam free in the house.
· For outdoor kitties, they are going to need some time to get accustomed to the new odors of the house and then to realize this is the place their people are, before they should be let out to wander. Put a bowl of food outdoors to help remind them where exactly home is.
Your pet dog merely wants to be with you, yet he'll get anxious when you're troubled. Dog anxiety is highest pre-move, so here is how to keep your dog calm and cool when you are losing your mind.
· Allow sufficient time for packing, should you be packing yourself. Seeing a little movement everyday isn't a big problem; heading to puppy day camp for the day and coming home to an empty house is going to freak him out.
· Keep in your standard schedule--walks, mealtime, what you do, carry on doing it.
· Bring up to date the information if he is microchipped; you can usually go online to make those changes.
· At the new house, show him the lawn, take him out for a walk, and ensure supper time is consistent.
Fish, Hamsters, Birds
Secure the crates in the rear of the car or make use of a pet mover to transport them. As fish tanks and pet fish can be a headache to maneuver, you could consider giving the aqua-pets to an elementary school.
Obtain duplicates of your pet's vet reports prior to when you move to Oklahoma City, so you will have all the immunization records on hand if you want to board prior to when you see the new vet.
Keeping the pets content as you move to Oklahoma City will go quite a distance towards keeping you glad. Adhering to these tips will certainly relieve the stress of moving the pets, at least.
Request a free quote