Moving to Oklahoma City? Here's How to Adjust to the Hot Climate
By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
In the event you recently relocated to Oklahoma City, the heat and humidity may smack you like a wall, especially during the summertime. Any jealousy you might be feeling simply leaves as the moving company unloads the last cartons out of the moving van in Oklahoma City. Thankfully, you'll be able to adjust to a warmer climate. Unfortunately, it can take a little extra time, so you may need to hang in there and cope with it a bit.
Here are some steps to adapt to the heat and humidity after moving to Oklahoma City:
1. Adapt your routine. Stay away from venturing out in the whole heat of the day and attempt to plan chores for the morning hours or evening. For those who typically exercise in the afternoon, switch it to early morning. Dining a bit later may help you contend with the effects from the humidity on your appetite. If your schedule will allow, there is a rationale why individuals in take siestas.
2. Resist the enticement to turn the A/C totally up to frigid levels. It's going to only slow your adaptation, along with turning up your power bills. You may even end up feeling too cool after you have been out of doors. Typically, you'll want to set the A/C to about ten degrees lower than the outside temp, no more. In addition, don't ever operate the A/C with the windows open, you are going to only waste energy.
3. If you have admission to a swimming pool or maybe the ocean, utilize it. Swimming definitely will cool you off, if you stay in for at least a quarter-hour. Do not spoil it by laying in the sun, however. Additionally, simply wading in the ocean might cool you down.
4. Indeed, you need to drink more, especially if you are older. Likewise, be sure you consume ample salt (except when you're clearly on a reduced sodium diet). Perspiring causes you to eliminate salt, and that could make you sick. Excessive amounts of humidity might make you feel less thirsty, whilst making perspiring unbeneficial. You additionally might want to lower your consumption of alcohol until you are adjusted, and in case you do consume, select a beer or possibly a tropical cocktail above shots.
5. Don a hat. Obtain a excellent, wide-brimmed sun hat (or even more than only one) and use them. Keeping the direct sun from the head can make you feel considerably cooler. In addition, counterintuitively, light long-sleeved apparel will often make you stay cooler than the usual tank top and shorts. Make sure all you decide to wear is loose fitting and light in color. Stay away from exercising in taut spandex.
6. Ensure that you keep eating frequently, even though you may not be hungry. High temperature as well as humidity can lead to appetite loss, and not eating plenty will add to any listlessness you without a doubt feel.
7. Alter how you make meals. Save the extended cooking stews and also roasts for winter months and make recipes which bake for a small amount of time and employ the stove as little as possible. Take in more salads and fruits and veggies. Keep frozen treats or, if calories are a concern, popsicles on hand. You can also freeze blueberries and other berries or cherries and then suck on them. Should you be feeling focused, invest in an ice cream maker and test out several flavors.
8. You shouldn't feel bad about being slothful on those long summer time days. Sometimes it actually is simply too warm to move much.
Understand that it can take a few weeks to acclimatize. The first summer might be unpleasant, nevertheless you can use comparable mental strategies which got you through lengthy winter seasons up north. When the summer months arrives once again you can find you cope with it much better and you may well begin to enjoy it.
If you are looking for a professional mover in Oklahoma City to assist with your move, give A-1 Freeman a call today!
Request a free quote