Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Oklahoma City

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either locally or across the country requires a lot of coordination along with organization, and many people neglect to gather the appropriate documents ahead of time. Here is a quick reference guideline for the various necessary documents that you'll need regardless of whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Oklahoma City.

Let's face it, it is not like you need a passport along with a work visa to transfer over the state line, but once you have assembled all of your life papers together to cross the border those are roughly the only important documents you don't need. And the way our brains operate, you might be ready to need all this documentation for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically local--from Memphis just across the river into a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for example, it may come as a shock that you need all of the docs.

Below are files you're going to more than likely need to keep nearby whenever moving, and how to get them if they have expired or you have lost the originals.

Driver's License

Even though driver's licenses won't be suitable for federal identity for much longer, you still must have a current one--you ought to have it anyway, but if it expired a couple of weeks or maybe a few months before and you figured as you are moving why make an effort, go make the effort. If you must check in at the airport, reserve a car, open up a bank account, or execute life generally speaking, you have to have an up-to-date driver's license to do this. Should you be in a state in which you cannot get your driver's license via the area Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper copy of the new license to utilize in front of the printed version arriving in the mail; this can be adequate identification for about three weeks.


If you're moving for a new job, the probability is very good that you'll need to prove US citizenship before you get started. You can renew it by mail if you meet particular factors--your name has not changed, your last one was issued no more than fifteen years back, you were a minimum of 16 at the time, amongst others--but otherwise, you should apply for a new one in person. You may request an expedited passport if needed but expect you'll spend an additional $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will want a copy for everyone in your household for your move to Oklahoma City. If you cannot place your hands upon the originals and you reside in the county or parish in which they happened to be distributed, a simple stop by at the county offices will take care of it. If you were born in another place, apply for the reproduction via that place. Every place is different, so consider an internet investigation pertaining to the county records the place you were born to determine the exact instructions to obtain a certified reproduction of your birth certificate. There is generally a minimal fee involved.

Marriage License

Should you need a copy, observe the exact same process you would for the birth certificate. A family Bible or document from your church isn't an acceptable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everybody in your family needs to have a social security number in addition to a card; if you cannot put your hands on the cards you're going to need to obtain replacements at the earliest opportunity. You can start the job online, and mail in the supporting documents, or you can go to the nearest Social Security Administration office with the papers. Copies--even notarized ones--are not acceptable. You need to have photo ID and proof of citizenship, so bring an up-to-date driver's license and / or passport, school, employee, or armed service identification card, or a medical health insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You are going to need to register your cars in the new community and state, therefore bring your current registration cards as well as verification of insurance protection to the nearby DMV as quickly as possible after your move to Oklahoma City. Within a different state you'll receive a new license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your current license plate and tag are good, but your insurance charges could possibly change.

Health and Shot Reports

If you've got young ones, their new schools will require evidence of immunization in advance of registration. Possessing replications of all family healthcare documents can help when you've got initial visits with new health professionals.

Get all of your documents together as quickly as you can in front of your move to Oklahoma City and keep them together. Considering that you may need original documents of many items, just put all the things in a file folder and keep it in hand or in a safe and secure place during the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to misplace.

When you're ready to move to Oklahoma City, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group help. Speak to us today to schedule your zero cost in-home estimate.


Request a free quote